Thursday 27 February 2014

Review: NURSING BOTTLES (The First Year - Breastflow)

I think this must be one of the least appreciated amazing nursing bottle available! And it is available in Singapore - BabiesRus (City Square Mall) and Kiddy Palace. Actual price I cannot remember but it is definitely much more affordable than popular brands like Avent. 

This is my 3rd batch of nursing bottles after Tommee Tippee (Read: http://and-so-mummy-says.blogspot.sg/2014/02/review-nursing-bottles-tommee-tippee.html) and Avent (will talk about it in another entry together with the breast pump). 

In my previous post, I spoke about how hubby went to get Avent starter set after we realized Eva was having wind (which was actually due to the torn anti-colic valve). The Avent set did not work well because it was not suitable for Eva's mouth? The milk kept spitting out from the side of her mouth. During the time, I was also considering about Eva's impatience during latch-on which I believe was also due to nipple confusion. So I went to find to see if I could get something that is really close. I did not turn back to Tommee Tippee because of the trouble of the parts and Eva was older already, I thought I better find a more normal anti-colic bottle. Especially needed so as she will be attending infant care soon after. 

And then I found The First Years - Breastflow (http://thefirstyears.com/breastflow)






















Check out the 2-in-1 nipple which I was imagining how it works like our breast! I saw the video and read the description; I thought this could be the ultimate bottle for Eva! Especially so when I was latching on and bottle feeding, I hope Eva could take it both with ease. 

Good: 
The bottle comes with a storage cap which makes it useful when I want to store EBM. The bottle is wide neck and broad which makes it easier to clean the inside of the bottle. They have a special design of groove on bottom of the bottle to allow you to hold the bottle cap so you wont risk losing the cap or have it roll away especially when you are out and about. Now most importantly, the 2-in-1 nipple works!! Eva's wind in tummy issue was alleviated and no more spitting from sides of her mouth. 

Not-so-good: 
You will notice that the material quality and finishing do not look / feel as good as the popular brands. And it is made in China (BUT BPA free!) unlike Avent that is made in England.

The nipple is designed to work like the breast even to the point of letting down! Which means the baby has got to suck for the let down mimic effect before the milk will flow. This is of course to help baby transit between breast and bottle easily. BUT somehow no one seems to be able to do it. It takes awhile for my family to practise on how to feed her. If they cannot get it, I will have to take over to feed. 

The 2-in-1 nipple was much easier to clean and put together than Tommee Tippee BUT it also take a little clear-minded to put it together. There is no catch to secure the 2 pieces together, you simply put them together by alignment of the groove and secure by closing the cap. So we had occasions of leakage / spillage when swirling the bottle when we did not assemble properly. 

Despite the not-so-good, I actually did enjoy using the bottle to feed Eva and I personally think that she likes the bottle too! But then of course the time taken for the assembly and say if there is accidental spills etc, you will delay the time and she may be starting to wail. 

One more thing is that it does not come with any training handles so if you intend to train baby to hold the bottle via handles, you wont be able to do so. But if you intend to let baby hold the bottle body itself, then it's definitely fine! For me, I was given a set of Pigeon magmag set which I thought would be good for me to try training Eva to hold her own bottle especially at infant care, I was worried that the teachers may not be able to be holding her bottle constantly for her. And surprisingly, she took the bottle well with grace. And yes, so I decided to change to Pigeon since it will be much easier for the teachers to handle. 

Things to note: 
You will notice that the teats may collapse inward as she drink and that is actually a sign that the bottle is working properly as it is to prevent air from going in. You will also notice that sometimes milk goes in between the 2 layers which is normal too. You can either let your baby continue sucking where the milk in between will eventually be finished as well OR you can press on the nudges to allow the milk to flow back into the bottle. If you do not intend to let baby finish that portion of milk, DO let the milk flow back first before opening the bottle, otherwise the milk will just spill out once you open the cap since the 2 layers of nipple are not sealed in. 

All in all, Breastflow is a a good nursing bottle especially when you are still breastfeeding. 

1 comment:

  1. In this process, the surgeon will Breast implant Singapore more tissue into the area where the implants are to be placed. One of the primary reasons for having breast augmentation done is to enhance the look and feel of a woman's bosom. Source to know about KW.

    ReplyDelete