Wednesday 5 March 2014

Baby Matters: CRADLE CAP (Dentinox Cradle Cap Shampoo)

Eva was born pretty clean and with quite an amount of hair (much to my pleasure)! However, somehow as time pass, I noticed that she started to have cradle cap. (Aww... sad) 

Other than not looking good, I was more worried if it would be itchy and I see that they start to build up and thicken on her head! It was difficult to remove especially in between that pile of hair. And she started having them on her eye brows! 

So like most people / webbies advised, to use olive oil to apply and lightly scrub it off. My MIL bought Ginvera one and we tried. Maybe we soak it for too long? I apply it before her bath and after washing it off, the areas applied became reddish! I do not know if she was just being really sensitive or yeah, soak for too long. 

And I decided that it wasnt a good method and I wanted to let her outgrow it while I pick on them everyday. It was so tempting to peel them off. Haha BUT PLS NOTE! you need to be really really careful lest you peel off not the super dried falling off ones and that will mean you are pulling on her skin and that can cause her pain and possible rash / infection.  

Then one day, I found her with infection in her outer ear, brought her to polyclinic and I asked doctor about the cradle cap too. 

Doc recommended us to get cradle cap shampoo from pharmacy and it should come off easily. And so I went to search for it at pharmacy and found Dentinox Cradle Cap Shampoo (S$9.84). 




This is a cradle cap treatment shampoo that is effective yet gentle enough to be used as normal care shampoo after the cradle cap clear. I started to use and I found it indeed effective. I just lather on her head and massage a little more at the areas with thicken scabs, and I even put some lathered foam onto her eye brows before I clean it off with a bath handkerchief. 

It did help to soften the scabs but it depends on how much rubbing you do in order to really get it off the skin. I didnt want to rub too hard on her head and Eva actually prefer to go into the water asap and kick than to let me clean her head. So I dont have much time to slowly massage it away. 

What I did was more gross and dangerously unhygienic and not quite advisable YET perhaps often done by mummies / aunts?? 

As the shampoo soften the scabs and when it dries a little, the edges of the scab is actually not adhering to the skin, so yes I started peeling off from there. I did not succeed in removing all in this manner because I was careful in testing and checking to see if the part was indeed off the skin and not having any fresh 'wound' beneath. 

Through this method, I managed to help remove much of the scabs before they thicken to a horrible stage!! Subsequently I did pass the shampoo to infant care for her teachers to use to wash her hair. And after couple more months, no more cradle caps. I guess she probably just outgrow that phase. 

I think it was a good move that I shave her when she was 01 month old? Other than for tradition purpose, I thought it was good to remove the hair when she is younger so she has time to grow nice hair by the time she reaches 4 mths ready for infant care. And more so for the cradle cap to be removed! With that pile of hair, it was so difficult to even clean the hair, let alone the scalp!! So yes, with a nice shaven head, it was easier to see the affected areas and cleaning was easier as well. 

Later, Eva shaved again around coming 5 months old as the hair growth was not even. Short and slow in areas where she sleep on so we decided to shave it again. And now Eva has a good head of hair!! (though I still see some sparse areas which are now more covered up by her longer hair).

No comments:

Post a Comment