Monday 17 February 2014

Review: NURSING BOTTLES (Tommee Tippee)

Before Eva was born, I naturally started reading up and considering on the best nursing bottle to get for her. Though I was pro-breastfeeding, I also need to standby just in case I need to bottle feed her if no milk came in or I decide to feed her EBM to get some rest etc. 

So I came across Tommee Tippee in Mothercare and I was pleasantly surprised by description and the price! (My 1st choice was actually the all-famous-popular Avent series especially when I realised they released the Natural range). The idea was to get nursing bottles that are as close to breastfeeding as possible so that I can switch between latching-on and bottle feed and hopefully a smooth transition before I get back to work after 4 months. 

So.. what caught my attention?? 

1. Product name - Closer to Nature > Naturally I assume that it must be a close mimic to latch-on. 

2. That additional anti-colic valve! > As a science-base student during sch days, this design fits in well scientifically that yes, it should effectively prevent air from getting into our lil one's tummy 

3. The heat sensing - color changing strip on the valve > OMG! as a new mum, the last thing I want is to scald my baby's mouth! And with this, I totally embrace the bottle with love and admiration that the designer could think of such a thoughtful idea! (Note: this does not equate to the real actual practicality under my usage yet! haha) 



With Closer to Nature Sensitive Tummy Feeding Bottles, switching between breast and bottle feeding becomes easier than ever before. We’ve designed the unique, easy-latch-on nipple shape with breastfeeding experts to mimic the natural flex, stretch and movement of mom’s breast. With a super-sensitive anti-colic valve you can enjoy baby’s intuitive, comfortable, relaxed feeding.




Tommee Tippee Anti-Colic 260ml Bottle is specially designed with a super sensitive valve, advanced easi-vent technology and optimum venting during feeding to help prevent colic. Using the bottle is simple - just check the heat sensing tube and ensure it is blue (safe to feed). If it has changed to pink, the milk is warmer than the recommended 37°C. With such a clear and helpful innovation, your concerns of accidentally serving milk that is too hot can be put to ease! The Anti-Colic Plus teat also has a unique, easy latch on shape with soft natural feel silicone, making it easy and natural for your baby's usage.


So I bought my set at Babycare Festival 2013 (*Babycare Festival 2014 will be on this weekend 21 Feb - 23Feb '14 at Expo Hall 6) at 15% off!


Usual Price for Twin Pack - $21.90
After Less 15% - $18.62
That works out to be less than $10.00 per bottle!


So I started using the bottle quite soon after Eva was born as my milk didnt come in till 3rd day so I fed her formula till then. I will usually let her latch-on slightly before she start crying for her milk followed by bottle-feed so that I can stimulate for the milk to come in!


Good: Eva was sucking pretty well with the bottle and there was no air bubbles forming in the bottle. Without much comparison, it was overall a good use bottle. The shape of the bottle is handy too. I like the temperature sensing tube which turns pink when milk is too hot and turns blue when milk is of optimal temperature (or perhaps cold?). As I mentioned earlier about the practicality of this function, well, at the end, you just started training your hands to feel the right temperature!! But oh yes! I like the thickness of the bottle as temperature transmit quickly and I was able to tell the real temperature relatively quickly unlike Avent (which I switch to later on as she grows older) which was thicker and it takes longer for me to feel the real temperature. And as thoughtful as the product is, it also comes with a mini brush to help you clean out the narrow areas of the anti-colic valve.


Bad: It can be a little tricky if you get flustered when your baby cries hard for milk as you will need to assemble the anti-colic valve and inserting it into the bottle before capping it properly. Cleaning will also take a little longer as you need to brush out the valve. It did pose a little challenge esp when I was in confinement and not allowed to touch water. So trying to wash it in the night sneakily was not that easy (haha).


Overall: I would still recommend the Tommee Tippee Anti-Colic + bottles especially if you are worried about your baby taking in too much air. That valve really works! BUT BUT BUT! Please be gentle when cleaning the valve. One of us (my hubby? my MIL? myself?) probably push the brush too much and make the end torn without noticing! So when baby develop wind in tummy, we thought the bottle failed us and hubby went to buy Avent set (review on that separately) which didnt work that well too and after examination, I realise it was the tear in the valve that caused the air to enter. So this is still a great choice for newborns. As they get older and not so susceptible to colic, you can change to the normal range of Tommee Tippee (which are also anti colic but not as meticulous) or other brands of nursing bottles.


Where to get these in Singapore?


1. Mothercare outlets


2. At Babycare Festival 2014 (Expo Hall 6) on 21 Feb - 23 Feb

There should be Less 15%. Other Tommee Tippee products will be available as well.


3. Pupsik Studio

http://www.pupsikstudio.com/tommee-tippee-feeding-bottle-anti-colic-plus-260ml.html

Say if you are still in confinement and unable to go shopping, go on Pupsik to make your purchases! You can also save 10%.


Price: S$21.90 S$19.71 (Save 10%)

Delivery: Free above $30.00 purchase. So do shop around before you decide to just add $2.00 for the normal postage. You might just come across more useful stuffs to buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment